Today was a perfect day to try quinoa chicken chili. And if you can’t tell by now, I LOVE quinoa. Quinoa is jam packed with nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants, etc. It has quercetin in it, which is a flavonoid, that has been tested on animals and shows that it has anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-cancer, and anti-depressant effects. Quinoa is also full of fiber, gluten free, high protein (8 grams of protein per cup), high in antioxidants, makes you feel fuller, and it is just delicious!
So this recipe was to die for. It was easy, delicious, and full of awesome flavors.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breast
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 16 oz black beans (drained)
- 16 oz kidney beans (drained)
- 16 oz garbanzo beans (drained)
- 2 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1/2 large white onion
- 16 oz salsa verde
- 1 tbsp cummin
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1/8 cup lime juice
- Pepper to taste
- Put olive oil in either a crock pot or a pot, chop onion and add in. Sautee the onion, about 2 minutes.
- Throw in the chicken breast, chicken broth, beans, and salsa
- Bring to boil uncovered, then simmer covered & cook on low for 30-40 minutes
- Pull chicken and shred it using two forks. Place chicken back in
- Add lime juice, cummin, pepper and cilantro and cook for 10 more minutes
- If too much liquid add more quino, if too little liquid add a little water